A day in the life of an Interactive Media student at York

Being a student isn’t always a glamorous experience of sitting on the grass and chatting with your friends: sometimes you need to buckle down and get work done. Having been bombarded with essays, projects and all sorts of nasties recently I thought it’d be a good idea to give you an idea of what to expect on your average (if a little stressed) day at the University of York.

I typically wake up around 9am, shower, eat and go to Campus East. Like most students in their later years, I live off campus. It takes me around 35 minutes to get to campus – I walk with a friend from my course so it’s not too bad. After two hours of lectures I go for some food with my friends, either to the Glasshouse or the Ron Cooke Hub if I’m feeling lazy and don’t want to stray too far.

Following this I head over to the Interactive Media lab. This is where the real work begins: a practical session consisting of several exercises on HTML scripting. This sounds long – I mean it is – the sheer amount of work means you can’t really stop working over a two hour period. All my lecturers are really helpful though, so if I ever get stuck I can always ask them for help.

After a tough practical I nab a lift home off my friend, as she doesn’t live too far from me. After a brief chat with some of my housemates about what we’ve been up to that day we’ll often cook at the same time and share ingredients. I really enjoy cooking but I’m only ever cooking for one as none of my housemates are vegan. I will often keep some food for the next day, especially if I know I’ll be finishing late.

Once dinner is over and done with, I’ll often head out with some of my course mates for drinks, or if it’s a Tuesday possibly the cinema (gotta love two for one). The worst possibility is I’ll end up heading back to the lab to work on projects until about twelve (as apparently I can’t organise myself properly and procrastinate to the extreme).

So that’s it. As much as I have been a ball of stress recently, I honestly love being a student at the University of York. My department is phenomenal at supporting me and I love the work/life balance that York allows me to have. Living in such a beautiful and vibrant city is a privilege.

Published by

Christopher

Hi there, my name is Christopher and I'm currently in my second year of studying Interactive Media B.Sc. in the Theatre, Film and Television department; I am a member of Vanbrugh college, and the Chairperson of the Interactive Media Society. If you need anything, give us a message!