It is a well-known fact that a lot of students require coffee to function. The City of York has caught onto this. If you’re like me and coffee shops serve a social, educational and addiction feeding purpose, then York in the city for you – it’s coffee shops go above and beyond your caffeine needs. Below are my top five places to grab a cup of coffee in York:
- Gatehouse Coffee Built into the city walls, Gatehouse has serious character. If you go to just one coffee shop in York, make it this one. It is my personal favourite and here’s why:
- A short bus journey from campus makes it the ideal work spot. Gatehouse has free wifi and great spaces to spread out your considerable hoard of papers.
- It is beautiful! Over three floors, Gatehouse packs in shabby chic decor, rustic brickwork and a view of the whole city from the balcony (which you can also sit out on and work/chat during summer).
- The coffee is top quality too! Everything they sell is Fairtrade, which is a big factor for me in what makes a good coffee shop. You know the proceeds are going to an honourable cause with this one.
- Gatehouse’s relaxed atmosphere facilitates the perfect space for catch up session!
Ratings out of 10
Coffee: 8, Sociability: 8, Atmosphere: 10, Study facilitation: 10
2) Fossgate Social
The street ‘Fossgate’ is full of cafes selling amazing brownies, but Fossgate Social’s Terry’s Chocolate Orange brownie takes the prize for me. I first had one of these whilst out with a friend and was immediately reminded that in fact Terry’s make the best chocolate in the world (and came from York originally! Woop woop!).
The atmosphere there is also captivating with sofas and sophisticated chandeliers upstairs, and wooden benches with flowers downstairs. It’ll suit every hipster!
Ratings out of 10:
Coffee: 7, Sociability: 10, Atmosphere: 10, Study facilitation: 6
3) Coffee Culture
For grabbing coffee with a friend, this one has arguably the best atmosphere. Placed over three floors in a ‘higgledy piggledy’ style, you are bound to find yourself and a friend somewhere to natter. Their brunch is to die for too!
Ratings out of 10:
Coffee: 7, Sociability: 10, Atmosphere: 10, Study facilitation: 8
4) Spring Espresso
Good food is up for grabs from Spring Espresso! The pancakes are a particular favourite. They come at a manageable size with the right level of chocolate sauce- very important aspects for any pancake connoisseurs out there.
Coffee: 8, Sociability: 7, Atmosphere: 7, Study facilitation: 5
5) Brew and Brownie
This is a very quaint little coffee shop just a hop, skip and a jump away from the York Minster. Whilst very pretty, again rocking the Shabby Chic vibes, it is often packed an so it can be difficult to hold a good conversation. Still pretty descent brownies though!
Coffee: 7, Sociability: 6, Atmosphere: 7, Study facilitation: 4
For all you coffee lovers, York is the place to be!