The fourth and final round of the Covid-19 PhD Scholarship Fund (CPSF) opens today and we’re pleased to advise that eligibility has been widened to include sponsored international PGRs who have had a request for additional funding support denied by their sponsor. Also, in exceptional circumstances, if you have received a previous funding extension you can apply for further funding from the CPSF.
Due to the effects of the pandemic, we know that for some researchers, even with adjustments and mitigation, it is not possible to complete your doctorate within your funding period or, for self-funded PhD researchers, during the period you originally planned for. In response to this, the Covid-19 PhD Scholarship Fund allows postgraduate researchers to request financial support.
The type of scholarship available from the CPSF varies by original funding source:
- For UK self-funded PhD researchers: a partial reimbursement of fees of up to three months (up to approx. £1,100)
- For international self-funded PhD researchers: a one off maintenance award equivalent to up to the value of three months of the 2020/21 UK Home fee rate (up to approx. £1,100)
- UKRI-funded PhD researchers: an additional stipend payment of up to three months
- York-funded PhD researchers: an additional stipend payment of up to three months
- Sponsored international students: a one off maintenance award equivalent to up to the value of three months of the 2020/21 UK Home fee rate (up to approx. £1,100)
Note: UKRI-funded PhD researchers at York should apply to the CPSF in the first instance and not directly to their DTP or CDT for ‘Phase 3’ funding.
Application guidance is on the York Graduate Research School web pages – check this to confirm your eligibility and apply. The application form is relatively short and we usually do not require any supporting evidence (except for sponsored international students who will need to provide evidence that they have approached their sponsor for support and been denied).
Application deadline: 6pm on Friday 3 September 2021