Are you a current PhD student or a postdoc researcher?
Are you interested in finding new ways to:
- Share your experiences and provide support and insight to peers (as well as pick up on some tips yourself!)
- Be a part of stimulating discussion
- Gather experiences of academic citizenship
- Practice public speaking and professional networking
- And help build our research community at the University of York?
If you answer ‘yes’ to any of these, then you’d be a great fit for the Thrive and Survive initiative!
We’re on the lookout for researchers (current PhD students or postdocs) who would like to give some time to help support and encourage the growth of the research community at York on an individual and collective level.
We’ll be running workshops throughout the academic year that will aim to punctuate research with relevant support and advice on various topics, ranging from managing research obstacles, to maintaining stamina over the summer, and most importantly, staying healthy, happy, and connected.
This is an excellent opportunity to share your own expertise, gather some tips for yourself, directly impact the PhD experience in a positive way and show great involvement and initiative in academic citizenship for your CV!
About Thrive & Survive
Thrive and Survive is a scheme run by researchers, for researchers.
Thrive and Survive is a way of removing power dynamics and offering open, accessible and engaging spaces of peer-to-peer support and community for researchers.
The goal of Thrive and Survive is for researchers to feel supported, connected, and feel part of something. Research can be a difficult, and sometimes, lonely endeavour. Thrive and Survive hopes to address this and reassure researchers that whilst they are working as individuals, they are also part of something bigger.
Managing Research Obstacles: Staying on Track Your Way
31st May 2023, 13:00-15:00, Online.
Post-PhD Pathways: What are my options?
28th June 2023, 13:00-15:00, Online.
Thriving and Surviving the Summer as a Researcher*
9th August 2023, 13:00 – 15:00, Online.
*We are currently recruiting volunteers for the following three dates, however, there will be further opportunities in the coming terms to engage with other sessions over the academic year.
Each workshop runs for two hours.
As part of your involvement in the workshop, you will:
- Speak with the Thrive and Survive Coordinator and other volunteers before the session to get a sense of the topics that may be discussed in the session
- Speak during the session, giving an overview of yourself and your own PhD journey and experience
- Answer questions as part of a panel Q&A
If you feel that you would like to contribute to the vibrant research community we have here at York by taking part in a session, please contact our Thrive and Survive Coordinator, Zara Stubbs via email, at email@example.com or on Twitter @PhDSurvival. We can’t wait to hear from you!