York Law School (YLS) is seeking a Research Assistant / Research Associate with appropriate statistics expertise to work alongside the YLS Admissions Tutor and Widening Participation Tutor on a research project.
The project is to analyse the relationship between performance at undergraduate law admissions interviews and social disadvantage.
A background in education research and / or knowledge of university admissions processes is desirable.
Brief description of the main duties:
- Conduct a statistical analysis of a large dataset of interview scores, POLAR classification and school type.
- Prepare a report of findings for the School’s Admissions Committee.
- Work alongside the Admissions Tutor and Widening Participation Tutor to conduct an audit of YLS undergraduate interview arrangements and systems.
Qualifications, skills, experience required:
- A PhD in a social sciences subject (or working towards completion).
- Appropriate quantitative research methods training and expertise.
- Proficient in the use of appropriate computer software to conduct statistical analysis (such as Excel, SPSS or a suitable alternative).
- Experience of carrying out independent and collaborative research.
- An appropriate level of spoken and written English.
This position is available for start at the end of March 2020 (start date can be negotiated).
Pay: £16.71 per hour. Fixed term position for four weeks (or part-time equivalent). Total payment £2,473.08 over the period of the project.
Hours: The successful candidate will have the flexibility to take on the role on a full time or part-time basis and work can be allocated to fit around the candidate’s existing commitments (work must be completed by September 2020).
There is a possibility that the post could be extended depending on the availability of funds.
Closing date: Friday 28 February 2020 at 5pm.
How to apply:
Email Louise.Prendergast@york.ac.uk with a CV and covering letter which sets out how you meet the criteria for the role
Contact: Dr Joanna Gilmore: Joanna.Gilmore@york.ac.uk