Each year, hundreds of new PhD students become part of our PGR community at York, and we need your help to make them feel welcome! Here’s 5 reasons why you should sign up to become a PGR Buddy today:
- Fresh starts can be awesome, but scary! ~ Everyone remembers the excitement of getting started on their first day, combined with the huge amount of new information to digest! You can support new starters and help them adjust to life as a PGR at UoY.
- Help grow the PGR community at UoY ~ Being a Buddy is a great way to make new friends and help others discover the range of PGR community initiatives on offer, such as How to Thrive and Survive in your PhD!
- Support your own Professional Development ~ Providing peer support is a great opportunity to learn about yourself and gain valuable experience
- Looks amazing on your CV ~ Being a Buddy will help you demonstrate evidence of a range of extremely desirable transferable skills, including leadership, citizenship and collaboration to mention but a few!
- It feels great to help others! ~ Simply by being there to listen and offer advice you are making a positive difference to someone’s life and that’s a great feeling.
How to Get Involved
- If you are willing and able to become a PGR Buddy for a first year, please sign up via this Google Expression of Interest Form. For further information about the scheme please visit this webpage or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If additionally, you would like to contribute to the YGRS Central Induction event and describe your PhD experience,please contact email@example.com with the headline ‘PGR welcome volunteer’ to receive further guidance and information.