The Career Management for Early Career Academic Researchers MOOC has re-opened and will be available to all researchers until July 2023.
This online course is designed specifically for research students and staff who are exploring their career options and preparing for the next stage in their career, whether in academia or beyond. It is a 4 part/week course designed to address key career issues pertinent to researchers. Each week the course content provides a range of articles, videos, reflective activities, exercises and discussion topics. Researchers are encouraged to set aside 3 hours to complete all of the content available each week. Content includes:
- Factors that are important when considering future career development and how they impact on career choice
- Experience, skills and qualifications that aid progression in an academic career and how to build relevant experience
- Common career areas researchers enter outside academic research and how to generate and research individual career ideas
- CVs for different roles and how to present experience effectively when applying for academic and non-academic jobs
- What to expect at academic and non-academic interviews, and how to prepare effectively for these
When you register on the Future Learn site, you will have 4 weeks of free access so it’s best to wait until you will have time to work on it before registering.
If the course raises any issues for you remember PGRs can book a Careers Advice appointment with Careers Consultant Janice Simpson to discuss any aspect of career planning.