3 Things to Look Forward to about Education at York

The staff

I think the most important thing about any department is the staff. The staff within the Department of Education at York are second to none! They are all experienced in their field of study and have had very successful careers within the Education sector before lecturing at the university. This means the lectures are taught by people who have a great insight into Education.

The academics always have new and interesting things to share due to their on-going research within the field. They ensure that the lectures and seminars are exciting and engaging, which makes those 9am starts much easier! They really take on board student feedback through termly anonymous questionnaires to ensure that lectures constantly improve termly. The staff within the Department care about making their lectures enjoyable for us students.

Student support

Secondly, since starting my degree, the support I have received has been amazing. I meet with my supervisor from the Department to talk about how the course is going and I feel comfortable discussing any problems I may be experiencing. I know that the Department will do their best to help me where they can.

Supervisor meetings ensure that you don’t feel alone whilst at university. They have been really beneficial during my time at York. I also know that my supervisor is only an email away if I ever feel like I need someone to talk to regarding my studies. Having a member of staff who you feel able to talk to is really important whilst at university.

Events and societies

In addition to this, the Department of Education at York regularly hosts events whereby guest speakers and members of the Department can discuss a specific aspect of Education.

The Department of Education also has a couple of exciting societies. These include PiESoc (Psychology in Education Society) who regularly organise events and socials to really ensure that you make the most of your university experience.

@DeptEdYork is great at keeping their social media up to date, so it’s really easy to access any information regarding current events and current educational research.

Something which has recently been set up by a member of the department is FilmEd. FilmEd is the screening of educational films which allows for an interesting discussion, whilst also consuming copious amounts of popcorn; what’s not to love?

Although there are many great things about the Department of Education at the University of York, these are just some of the reasons why I am so happy to be a part of a department that really values and cares about their cohort. This make for a really valuable university experience.

Published by

Nicole

Hi everyone, I’m Nicole! I’m a second year Education student and a member of Langwith College. I am here to tell you all about just some of the things you have to look forward to in the Department for Education!